Kitchen creations: 5 tasty recipes
19 May 2020
Cooking is a great way to unwind, as well as a fun activity! We asked the aparto staff for recipe tips, here are our top 5 which are easy to make and super tasty...
A delicious snack and quick to make!
- 180g Butter
- 2 cups Porridge Oats
- 1 cup Coconut Flakes
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Golden Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- Melt the butter and syrup together in a saucepan
- Add the bicarbonate of soda and stir until it froths
- Mix in with the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Flatten the mixture out on a 12” x 8” greased baking tray, or use a baking sheet/greaseproof paper
- Cook @ 180°C for 20 – 30 minutes, until golden brown
- Allow to cool for 5 – 10 mins before cutting into slices.
- Allow to fully cool in the tray before serving.
Gooey in the middle, dense and fudgy on the outside, crinkly on top and packed full with crunchy Maltesers...
Here are a few tips to make sure your brownies are perfect…
1. Whisk the eggs and sugar really well – this will give you that crackly top.
2. Once you’ve added the flour be careful not to over mix – this will add air to the mixture and result in a cake-like texture.
3. Be very careful not to overcook your brownies – the top should only just be set with a little wobble underneath. When in doubt, lean towards underdone than overdone. Brownies will continue to cook and firm up as they cool.
Ingredients: (makes 9 large/ 12 small brownies)
- 150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 170g 70% dark chocolate
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 150g self-raising flour
- 150g Maltesers
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease and base line a 23x23cm square tin with baking paper.
- Gently melt the butter and chocolate in a glass bowl set over a pan of simmering water, or in the microwave in 20 second blasts. Once melted, remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the sugar and eggs until frothy. Pour in the melted butter chocolate mixture and the flour and fold together until you have a thick chocolate mixture. Now fold in the Maltesers and spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, smoothing it out with a knife.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 17-20 minutes. The top should no longer be shiny and the edges should be starting to crack. Test the brownies with a toothpick, it should come out almost clean.
- Cool completely, before cutting and serving and add a dollop of vanilla ice-cream.
Spiced roast cauliflower
A delicious and healthy lunch recipe!
Ingredients: Serves 2 as a main meal, or 4 as a light meal/starter
- 1 cauliflower, broken into bite-sized chunks
- 1 onion, medium, finely sliced
- smoked paprika 1 tsp
- ground cumin 1 tsp
- ground coriander ½ tsp
- garlic 3 cloves, crushed
- olive oil 4 tbsp
- fine sea salt ½ tsp
- butter beans, haricot or cannellini 1 tin, drained and rinsed
- Juice of half a lemon
- fresh coriander 1 small bunch, leaves only
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6. Put all the ingredients except the beans, lemon juice and fresh coriander into a mixing bowl and mix together with your hands until everything is evenly coated with oil and spices.
- Transfer to a baking tray and bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes, until just tender and starting to crisp around the edges.
- Remove from the oven, add the beans and lemon juice, toss everything gently, then return to the oven for a few minutes, just until the beans are warm.
- Divide the coriander between the plates and place the cauliflower on top, making sure you scrape all the juices and spices off the tray. Serve with chunks of fresh bread.
This nourishing meal can also be made as a veggie version.
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 gloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1tbsp plain Flour (can use gluten free)
- 1 small jar mango chutney
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 pints reduced salt chicken stock
- Gently cook onion and garlic with a tbsp of rapeseed oil in a saucepan for 5 minutes or until soft, stir in curry powder, flour and tomato puree and cook on a low heat until paste like for 5 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the warm chicken stock, chopped tomatoes and then add the jar of mango chutney and season to taste. Cook for 15-20minutes
- Add cooked chicken or beef and serve with steamed rice.
- Tip: Add a can of coconut milk to make it creamy
- For vegetarians use vegetable stock and add fresh cooked vegetables such as green beans carrots, baby corn and broccoli.
Treat yourself with some delicious banana muffins
Ingredients (Serves 12)
- 200g (7 oz) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large bananas, mashed
- 150g (5 oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 75g (2 1/2 oz) butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Place 12 paper baking cases in a muffin tin.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt; set aside.
- Combine mashed bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter in a large bowl. Fold in flour mixture and mix until smooth.
- Spoon evenly into baking cases in muffin tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until muffins spring back when lightly tapped.