Clearing: looking after your wellbeing
03 July 2020
The clearing period can be stressful at the best of times, mix that in with a global pandemic and anxiety levels can understandably hit the roof. We appreciate the effect this has on making decisions regarding courses and accommodation, but hopefully this guide can help put you at ease.
Countering catastrophic thinking
If you don’t get the results you were expecting, don’t despair! You can still get on a great course that will lead on to your dream career. It’s easy to fall into the trap of catastrophic thinking and these tips can let you take a step back, breathe and reset:
- It is okay to say ‘stop’ to yourself, to try and interrupt negative and catastrophic thoughts
- Catastrophic thoughts are typically irrational, i.e., they are not based on facts or your usual experience
- Think about alternative outcomes: a bit like re-writing your own story
- Identify what you like about yourself and your successes, and remind yourself of them regularly
- Acknowledge that sometimes unwanted things happen, but that doesn’t make you a bad person
- Practise self-care strategies: things you like doing, such as time with friends, exercise, eating well.
…. And most importantly, be kind to yourself. If you’re looking for a course during clearing, read our clearing top tips blog which will guide you through the process of securing a place on a course.
Our guide to keeping you safe and connected
We recognise the concern for keeping buildings clean and safe. Read about our measures in place, such as enhanced cleaning and contactless check in. We’ll also be making sure there’s plenty of opportunity to make friends and become part of a community, with a mixture of in person and virtual events designed just for you. Find out more.
Flexible start dates and free cancellation
COVID has created a lot of unease, that’s why we’re offering flexible start dates at all our residences so you can align your tenancy start date with your university academic year. Worried about booking accommodation due to visa or travel restriction? No worries, you can cancel your booking if this stops you from moving in. Read full details here.
Student wellbeing is one of our key priorities. If you’re feeling like your mental health needs a boost, check out some of our top tips, from focusing apps, yoga and meditation and to simply showing kindness to yourself and others. Read ‘a part of wellbeing’ here.
We want your transition into college and sorting your accommodation to be as easy as possible. We have a super friendly team based at all our sites, so if you need any support finding the best accommodation for you just get in touch and we’ll be happy to help.
You can also find out more about booking accommodation during clearing here.